Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Really? No notice? What about being loyal to your employee's?

I work in a hotel where we have a Bliss Spa. I'm really wanting to try the eucalyptus steam shower. The employee's who could have gone elsewhere when the Steiner Company of New York bought them for a kaboodle of money have now discovered that the company is no longer covering domestic partners under the health insurance. Really? And with no notice.

As the company is based in NY, I could almost see the reason for ending domestic partner benefits, but as a young woman who works at my hotel location says "I live in Texas, I'm not legally allowed to marry my girlfriend."

The second kick in the ass to those who have been loyal to this company, no notice. This company did this without telling anyone. Which I thought you had to do as an insurance company. It's called reasonable notice, not only for the discontinuation of services but for the increase in premium payments.

What is she and her partner supposed to do if there's a catostrophic illness? She certainly won't get her money back (all those years of paying premiums without getting sick and "costing" the insurance company money). Shaking my head.

Before you blow this information off, what about those straight couples who choose not to get married, will they still be covered? What if you are married and your insurance gets cut off to your spouse? It's all the same wheel no matter what you label it. How are insurance companies able to get away with this without notice?

So as part of my little protest I won't be enjoying that steam bath or massage that I truly need from Bliss Spa. My Bliss girls understand even while they are shaking their heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment