Friday, May 24, 2013

Memorial Day

Memorial Day is upon us again. Take a moment to consider what this means. It doesn't mean an extra day off, it doesn't mean bbq, it doesn't mean get drunk and act stupid. That is what generally happens, but there is a deeper purpose.

It is meant to pay homage. Homage to those who have died for this country. To respect the memory of those who were killed in uniform.

These are the men and women who gave their lives while in service to this country.

This weekend I will repeat these names. Cpl R. "Ordinary" Smith - 981st MP Co. PFC Corey Winkle - 24th Mech Inf. Desert Storm. Dario Lorenzeti - US Army, Ranger, State Dept. Afghanistan.

These are not just names, nor do they deserve to be forgotten in lieu of a bbq, a beer bash, a free day off.

I think of other names, mostly MP's (since well I'm kinda biased that way) who have died for this country. My last count of MP's killed in the Middle East was 162...but then I stopped counting. It got too hard. I'll take up the count again when my heart doesn't hurt quite as much.

I will work on Memorial Day as I usually have, and say just a prayer for the fallen, because I'm lucky, I went to war and came home. A lot of uniformed men and women have come home in a box, or were buried on foreign land. "there but for the Grace of God, go I".

*Snap to attention. Rendering Final Honors*

 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful blog. Thanks for the reality check, and thank you for your service. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ro. Your words are moving. A heartfelt reminder to remember the sacrifice of the fallen, and a prayer for those who continue to serve.

    ReplyDelete